How To Keep Your Guests On The Dance Floor
Let’s face it–when planning your wedding, you’re going to have a lot of uncertainty. You’ve probably never planned an event this big or important and it’s easy to be concerned about whether you’re doing it right. One big concern is that no one will dance at your reception. You want your guests to have the time of their lives but your family ranges between various ages and you worry that all of them might not like the music. Plus, for everyone except the natural born dancers of this world, it can be hard to whip out your best dance move in front of a crowd. Dance like no one’s watching they say! Well don’t worry, we’ve got this and will help your guests do just that! We constantly hear from our couples that their guests can’t stop raving about how much fun they had dancing.
As experts in filling dance floors, we know how to get everyone up and grooving, so that every seat at your reception is empty. We put together a list of tips to assure you that your dance floor will be lively all night long. Let the dancing begin!
1. To start the night off on the right note, think cocktail hour. A smooth jazz trio or instrumental pop is perfect for this setting. You can customize the instruments to fit your vision and the vibe you want to carry into the evening. A smaller sized band allows for the perfect backdrop to encourage conversation while everyone meets and mingles. Think of this time as an ice breaker, getting everyone comfortable and warmed up for the dance floor. Your guests are already thinking about how much fun they’ll have celebrating together later!
2. When it comes to your reception set up, the dance floor should be the focal point of the room. Make sure there is a designated dance floor with just enough space for your guests. You don’t want something too small where everyone is feeling too cramped to bust a move, and you don’t want to go overboard with a giant space that will make more hesitant dancers feel uncomfortable. Bonus Tip: Adding a stage at the front of the dance floor for the band will draw people in, giving you and your guests more of a private concert feel!
3. Don’t put limitations on the genres of music! Since your guests will range in age, having a varied selection of music will make sure everyone has a song that will get them out of their seat and singing along. Include a mixture of classics (oldies but goodies!), Top 40 hits, and throwback jams for your college friends. Check out our tips on creating the perfect wedding playlist HERE.
4. Serve snacks, desserts, or cocktails next to the dance floor (you could even have waiters walk around with specialty cocktails!). If your guests don’t have to venture far for a break or refill, they’ll stay engaged with the dance floor!
5. Most importantly, hire a live band 😉. Live entertainment adds something extra magical and memorable to your reception. Plus, a live band can engage with your guests in ways an iPod just can’t, and your guests will feed off that energy!
These tips will help keep your guests on their feet so they don’t miss a thing! We always tell our couples: if you’re having fun, your guests will have fun, too. And how could you not? This will be the best night of your life.
Like Lady Gaga says, JUST DANCE! Gonna be okay. Da-da-doo-doo.